10 Tips for Self-Care You Can Implement Right Now
Updated: May 27
(with a bonus 11th!!)
1. Meditate at least 5 minutes each day. I know, sounds kinda hokey but there are a number of studies that verify the benefits of meditation. Right before you get up for the day, or right before bedtime can be good times to start, although any time you feel stressed is good! I use an app for guided meditations called “Stop, Breathe, Think” but there are many quality resources out there.
2. Get adequate sleep each night. Try to go to bed by 10 and wake up with the sun (or a bit later).
3. Drink lots of water. The body needs to be nourished and hydrated to function properly. Aim for half your body weight in ounces daily.
4. Include collagen &/or bone broth in your diet. It is gut-healing and full of nutrients. Making your own bone broth is the best. I have a recipe here.
5. Avoiding caffeine and alcohol, or at least cutting back can help eliminate stress. If you are drinking caffeinated beverages throughout the day, take note of your mood. Are you edgy? Still experiencing lack of energy? Those are just a couple signs that it’s time to cut back.
6. Cut out sugar and refined, processed carbohydrates. These raise blood sugar and cause stress responses in the body. Avoid foods that come in boxes and packages or include ingredients you can't pronounce.
7. Consume a whole foods, nutrient-dense diet that includes a mix of healthy fats, quality proteins and vegetables (especially dark leafy greens and cruciferous veggies like cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage). Include fermented foods like sauerkraut and kombucha. Vitamins and minerals can be supplemented, but you can’t out-supplement a poor diet.
8. Walk regularly. Often times we equate exercise with something that needs to be intense. That’s good to include sometimes, but don’t underestimate the effectiveness of just taking a nice walk. Get outside, enjoy the air and breathe.
9. Schedule time in your day (or week) for something you enjoy that also reduces stress. Reading a book, playing with the kids, doing yoga, or crafting are just a few examples.
10. Take a detox bath. It's a great way to have a spa moment alone and pamper yourself a bit.
Here's a bonus 11th!
Start a skincare regimen to cleanse, nourish and protect your skin! Your skin is the first line of defense against environmental toxins and the last to show any signs of internal issues. It doesn't have to be hard, just follow these steps!
Making the switch to toxin free beauty for you and your family is the best thing you can do for your health! Shop safer beauty products at my personal Beautycounter website!
I made my list short but there are dozens more! What are your self-care tips? I’d love to hear them!